Cheers to a new year & another chance to get it right.- Oprah Winfrey
With 2018 coming to an end quickly, I’ve been thinking a lot about what I want to accomplish in 2019. This past year went by so quickly that I can’t even believe it’s almost over. Life just seems to be rushing by at lightning speed and I need to slow things down.
Image via Vogue.
After grieving intensely, following the loss of my father, I finally feel that something in me has shifted. I no longer feel mired in the cloudy haze of grief that clouded my vision of the world. For the first time in six years, I am beginning to feel alive. Passions that had gone dormant are starting to stir within me and are rising to the surface. The landscape of life no longer looks like a barren waste-field and is instead ripe with hope. The sky looks pretty again. The sun shines brighter. The days don’t feel as long.
And all of this optimism has actually made me think about what I want to accomplish in 2019. I normally don’t make New Year’s resolutions but this year I am. I’ve read that a goal without a plan is just a wish and that you must write things down in order for them to happen.
This morning I sat down and carefully wrote a list of ten things that I’d like to accomplish this year. It felt good to act with intention. And it felt good to finally feel good. What about you? Have you made any resolutions for 2019? If you have, I’d love to hear about your wishes and plans. I’m sharing some of my mine below. Here’s to turning dreams into reality this new year!
Image via Vogue Australia
1. Have something to look forward to each month- I’m certainly no expert but I’ve found that if you’re battling something difficult, it can be so helpful to have something fun marked on your calendar. It could be something as luxurious as a quick getaway to your favorite place for the weekend or it could be as simple as catching the new movie you’ve been wanting to see. It doesn’t matter how simple or extravagant as long as you enjoy it.
I see more museum trips in my future.
2. Try something I’ve never tried before- I’ll admit that I’m a creature of habit. As much as I would love to have more experiences, it’s just so hard for me to take the initial plunge. This year I’m going to do something about this! Each month, I’m going to try something completely new- whether it’s a cooking class or even just checking out somewhere I’ve never been in my hometown. First thing on my list? Visit the local Japanese tea gardens. I’ve lived here 33 years and have never been!
3. Volunteer- I always say I’m going to volunteer but I’m embarrassed to admit that I never actually do it. This year I will put myself out there! Since I love to read I’m thinking about helping in an after school literacy program. Do any of you know how to go about doing this?
I need to find my inner Audrey Hepburn.
Photo via SNAP/REX/Shutterstock
4. Stop comparing myself to others on social media- As much as I tell myself not to, I always end up thinking someone has a better blog or is more creative when I scroll through Instagram. I know the comparison game is a problem for so many of us. This year I’m going to stop doing it for good. We all have our struggles and strengths and no one’s life is usually as picture perfect as social media would have you believe.
5. Grow & develop this blog- My mom and I originally started The Ladies McCann a few years back but haven’t been able to give it our full attention due to life getting in the way. Sometimes that happens, right? This year I’m feeling more excited about the blog than ever. I’m a storyteller at heart and can’t wait to bring you the stories of women of strength and style.
6. Finally get fit!- This is probably on everyone’s list, right? I’ve never been much of a gym person but I would love to look and feel stronger. Even if it’s just walking I’m going to try my best to get out each day and move.
I can dream!!
Image via Vogue Australia
7. Learn how to use my DSLR camera- I bought one a few years back but was so intimidated by it that I never actually learned to use it. This year I’m going to conquer it!! Maybe YouTube videos would be a good place to start?
8. Not worry so much about everything- I am such a worrier. And it really does nothing to help me so I need to stop as best as I can. Life is short and worrying about every little thing steals so much joy.
9. Find something good in every day- No matter how good or bad my day is I’m going to try to find something positive in it. Even if it’s as simple as enjoying a hot latte from Starbucks or holding the door open for someone.
10. Choose joy- Over the last few years I’ve come to realize that happy doesn’t just happen. Like anything else in life, it takes work and doesn’t always come with ease. This year I’m going to try to live with more intention by being present and living in the moment.
Hopefully, I can stay accountable to that list! Happy new year. Here’s to a great 2019!